Quick Progress Timeline

Wednesday 22 September 2010

Day 30 - Cabbage Soup and Running hardcore

Cabbage Soup

I made the most amazing soup today; remember that gigantic cabbage I bought from the market for £1?  Well it turned into a really good wholesome soup.

 

 DSC01453DSC01540

 DSC01535DSC01537

DSC01536 DSC01539

 

The recipe is slightly tricky because I didn't actually note it down but I will give you a good outline so you can make your own.  This recipe is very filling, low calorie and wonderfully nutritious.  Even the non soup eaters at home gobbled it up.

For stock:

  1. Boil (or pressure cook) prawn shells (or chicken or vegetables), onions, 3 bay leaves, black pepper and garlic together. 
  2. For pressure cooker, cook for 45 minutes.  For normal boiling, boil an hour and a half.  Otherwise, boil less and you will get a milder flavour.  Or use a stock cube!

Ingredients needed:

  1. A 'good' amount of Cabbage
  2. 200g of Lean Smoked Bacon
  3. Spinkling of Mozzarella
  4. 10g of Butter
  5. Tea spoon of minced garlic

Rough Method Outline:

  1. Gently saute chopped cabbage with garlic until cabbage has softened slightly.  Drop in 10g or so of butter and stir.
  2. Add in stock and allow stock to heat up
  3. Pressure cook for ten minutes (or boil for 20 minutes)
  4. Blitz the soup with a processor (I used a hand blender)
  5. Drop in some mozzarella cheese and stir.
  6. Bring soup back up to boil and drop in sliced bacon and shredded cabbage.  Stir.
  7. Allow cabbage and bacon to cook and then season to taste. I did not add any salt because the stock was so flavoursome (again, stock has no salt!).

So I hope that was remotely useful and perhaps gave some inspiration.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Running hardcore

Tonight was a very special night for me because for the first time, since running, I've worked my body so hard I feel absolutely shattered.  Before I used to run I would be tired and sweaty but nothing quite like tonight. 

My Sister and I decided to go running in the park at around 9.30pm and we were accompanied by my brother in law who was roller blading around. We couldn't run around the park because a lot of it was too dark and a bit scary so there was one stretch that was close to the entrance and very brightly lit.  We decided to run from one end to the other on and on and on.  It was exhausting because we would run non stop to the end and I didn't work out how long that distance was but it's long enough for me to start losing my breath by the 4/5's of each stretch.  I was training my body to  use the oxygen intake efficiently and I found that each time I ran it became easier.  Don't get me wrong, it wasn't easy for me.  I'm incredibly unfit but I am fitter than I was three weeks ago.  What a liberating training session and we are going again tomorrow.  RAWR!

I'm also seeking out a good reputable whey protein so I can start feeding my body the correct amount of protein for these intense work outs.  I am looking for one that builds lean muscle mass and this is important for fat burning so I can lose weight effectively.  I'm interested in the PhD nutrition Diet Whey and really excited about possibly purchasing it.  I feel like a frickin' athlete in the making.

I need to rest... I might dream about running now.

Good night!

2 comments:

  1. Running is the most beautiful form of meditation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love running too! I recommend the MP MAX Elle True Diet protein shake powder from MyProtein. It's amazing value as the tub is huge and works really well for me! Here's the link to it if you're interested:

    http://www.myprotein.co.uk/products/mp_max_elle_true_diet

    I am in no way promoting for them by the way, I am genuinely a happy customer!

    ReplyDelete